Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's Strawberry Season!


So I thought I would throw this up because it's one of my favorite times of year. I was a produce clerk for 5 years for Savemart Supermarkets where I became a huge fan of fresh fruits and vegetables. As a result I look forward to the seasons that roll through our Central Valley. One of the most productive growing regions in the world.  To me April not only signifies my birthday Aril 2nd, but also the growing seasons are starting to pick up. In March early April we get Asparagus, great, steamed, fried, grill, broiled, ect. you get the point. Next in late April NOW we get the sweet local Strawberries. 

A little lesson on store bought berries, and local berries. The berries we buy in the store come from several different places South America, Mexico, and So. California. They are packed full of flavor and have a firm texture. Produced by major growers the berries are breed for a longer shelf life, to be sweet on the tongue, and look like the perfect berry to the consumer. Meaning they hold on store shelves for about two to three weeks after harvest and are ascetically pleasing.  I have had the pleasure of seeing some of these operations in progress they are astonishing. 

Now the local berries we buy here out of the fields don't quite have a long shelf life maybe a week to two, in the fridge after harvest. They are best eaten the day of harvest so if you are taking them home only buy one or two baskets to snack on at a time. They also make great jam if you know how to make freezer jam. A quick google and I came up with this FREEZER JAM . Our local berries although not the most uniform in size and shape eat the best in my opinion. 

I made a quick stop at my favorite local fruit stand. They reopened for the season on Monday April 20. I picked up a basket they never made it home. I think you could have found me by the trail of strawberry tops I left, as I threw them out my truck window. Check them out Loretelli Farms or swing by your local fruit stand and get in on the fresh Strawberries. 

Price:
Basket $1.75
1/2 Flat $8.50
Full Flat $16.00

Contact: (209)577-2425


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I know right where you were too. I grew up out there in Linden and Modesto..LOL such a very small world.
    Happy belated birthday by the way.

    I love strawberries ask my husband who has to drive for them for me..LOL To a little place called Sluehouse (not sure on spelling) they grow some yummy ones out there.

    ReplyDelete